Monday, November 3, 2008

And The Winner Is...

Well, tomorrow's the big day. I'll be getting in line with my neighbors and other total strangers as soon as I get off work. I hope the wait isn't too long; I've got class tomorrow, and it's a test day, so I really can't skip. If worse comes to worse, though, I can just leave and go to school, take my test, double back, and get in line again. One thing's for sure: I will not miss this. This election is huge, and I want to contribute.

Today at work, my co-worker asked me who I was voting for. I told him: Barack Obama. He did a double-take and said, "What? Really?" I said, "Yes, really." Then he shook his head and said "Oh, well you're just misinformed." He said it in a patronizing, dismissive way, like an adult telling a child that there are no monsters hiding in the closet. I was mildy offended by it, to say the least. I asked him why I was "just misinformed", and I think he realized at that moment that he didn't want to argue with me about it, because he didn't have a real answer. He tried changing the subject, but I kept bringing it up. I wasn't mad at him, really, I just wanted to hear what he thought. All he would talk about after that, though was how hot he thought Sarah Palin is, and that I couldn't deny that at least.

I could, and I did. I told him that I was so repulsed by her views and personality that there is no way I would ever find her remotely attractive. All he had to say after that was, "Well, I'd do 'er."

Wow.

But anyway, back to voting. I've followed this campaign a lot more closely than past elections, and I'm glad I have. I think too often people take the easy way out by saying that they don't like either candidate, so they just don't vote. I used to be able to understand that, but not anymore. I mean, that's really kind of a cop-out. Chances are, you're not going to agree 100% with any candidate, but you pick the one you agree with most. It's not hard. Just watch the news and the debates. Read a little. (It helps if you think rationally and avoid falling for cheap scare tactics, by the way.) This is our country, you know?

Here's to it, then. Get out there tomorrow, everybody! Unless, of course, you've voted already. If that's the case, then don't get out there. Just put the news on.

'Til next time...

No comments: