Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bedtime Rave and Rant

So I just bought a guitar on Tuesday. It had been over a month since I'd even played, but I'd had my eye on one, tried it out, and bought it. It really feels great to have that back in my life again. Now I can hardly put it down, and I keep browsing for different effects to go with it. It's kinda cool, too, because before this, I had never bought a guitar that wasn't released by Fender.

Well, I take that back. There was a short fiasco involving a DiPinto Galaxie IV, but that guitar sucked so bad I've since blocked it from my mind. Guh. But yeah, I went with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, limited edition silverburst. I'd never played an Epiphone before, and I had pretty much decided on a Telecaster, but I heard things. Good things. Then I played it, and the deal was sealed.

I'm glad I changed things up. Playing one brand of guitar is pretty limiting when you think about it....

Okay, I just read through what I typed above, and I came to the realization that probably only one of the three people who actually read this blog will give a shit about this entry.

So, new subject...

Do you ever notice how people call themselves fans of a particular team, but leave the arena or stadium if said team is not playing well? That's bullshit. I watched my beloved Columbus Blue Jackets take a pounding from the Chicago Blackhawks last night. The final score was 7-2. It was the worst I have ever seen them play this season, but I had to stick with them. Why? Because I support the team, dammit! Nationwide Arena looked full at the start of the 1st period, but then fans slowly started to leave when the Jackets couldn't pick up their game. By the 3rd, the remaining fans in attendance probably could've all squeezed into the penalty box. Honestly, I don't think anyone could give me a reason I'd agree with why leaving a game when your team is down is acceptable. Stick with them, even through the bad times. Hell, especially through the bad times. I know I would, especially if I was lucky enough to have season tickets so close to ice level like most of those fairweather Benedict Arnolds do. Unbelievable.

Wow, I had no idea I'd be getting so fired up about this. It is important to me, though. During these months, hockey is pretty much always on my mind, which I think some people find odd, as I'm not the type who's generally into sports. People seem to view me as more of an artsy, indie type of guy. I don't mind that, as I am into artsy and indie things. However, I don't feel that I can lump myself into set categories like that without feeling like a douche, so I just consider myself to be myself. Whether I'm listening to Bright Eyes and doing an oil painting, or donning my jersey and screaming at the TV when Pascal Leclaire makes a superhuman glove save, I'm the same average, friendly, likeable (I'd like to think) guy. Besides, I think it's good to have varied tastes. I'd be pretty boring if everyone who saw me could accurately guess what I was all about, right?

No comments: