Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thoughts From the Driver's Seat

This morning after work I was sitting in my car with my friend (we work together and carpool) and we were having a really good discussion on the topic of religion. I enjoy talking about subjects like that, especially when they're open to such broad interpretation. So many people have so many different views, even within the same faith, and I find that fascinating.

Anyway, as we talked, it started to rain pretty hard. Big, fat drops were pounding my windshield, and at one point we both had to raise our voices just to hear each other. Then there was a bunch of lightning. I mean serious lightning. Each burst lit the still-dark sky like it was high noon or something. It was awesome. I love absorbing stuff like that. Taking the time to think about things, really think about them. Not just notice and say, "wow, that was bright."

I wish I had a picture of that split second in time.

So, as I drove home, my mind drifted to other weather-related thoughts. I like waking up to the sight of falling snow. It seems weird to me when I think about that, because I hate everything else about snow. Especially driving in it. But going to the window and watching it fall silently is one of my favorite things. I like seeing snow covered ares that haven't been walked through or otherwise 'messed up'. Everything seems so clean, and the brightness kind of makes me happy. I suppose certain aspects of all seasons bring a smile to my face. I hope everyone else can say the same.

Well, I should be in bed. I'm supposed to get up in three hours. Maybe I'll just stay up and go for a walk or something, though. It's surprisingly nice for February.

1 comment:

~B~ said...

Alas, there is no "real" weather in San Francisco, so we have to settle for big rain the likes of which you described as being our "major storm." In other words, I can only imagine what it must be to look out your window onto a blanket of white. Consider yourself lucky that you have it, and I envy you for being able to enjoy it as much as you do.