Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wait, What?

At work last night, a couple came into the store and were down around the pet food section. My friend and I had just finished stocking the aisle when the guy approached us with a big grin on his face. Pointing to an area out of our sight, he said, 'That's my part-time girlfriend over there'.

This person was visibly drunk and very amused by what he was saying.

My friend asked him sarcastically how that was working out for him. The guy said, 'Not real good'. Then he smiled, gestured towards some dog food and added, 'I think I'll buy her a treat'.

I was just looking at him with a blank stare on my face. Drunk or not, why would a person say things like that about their girlfriend (and what the hell does part-time girlfriend even mean?)? He continued laughing as she walked up, visibly embarrassed. I felt horrible for her, and I was getting a little bit tired of Mr. Talkative. I turned and started to walk away. My boss stopped to ask me some questions before I could get to the back room, and as we stood talking, he caught up to us with his underappreciated girlfriend in tow.

"She's like a lava lamp," he said. "Fun to look at, but not too bright."

"Wow," I said, slightly shaking my head and looking at the floor. I continued walking, and the last thing I heard him say was to the girl.

"Come on, let's go make a baby."

"Stop!" she said, in a playful yet serious manner. I looked back to see her blushing and looking kind of sad.

I swore under my breath and stormed down another aisle, away from that. It was just disgusting.

Why do girls put up with guys like that? Do they really like dating complete and total jerks who are so inconsiderate and offensive? It certainly seems to be the case. Maybe it's some sort of weird form of natural selection at work: women see men like that as stronger than men who'd be more respectful (does that translate into weakness, though?), and therefore consider them to be better mates? I don't know, but it's ridiculous either way. Imagine that poor woman having kids with that guy. Any sons would most likely grow up thinking that behavior like that is normal and acceptable. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. The point is, though, that I just do not understand how that whole mess works, and it's frustrating to see an event like that played out in front of me.

At first I thought I just didn't understand women, but I think it's people in general that baffle me. If anyone has any thoughts on this subject, by all means share them with me. I'm really curious to know.

Well, time for bed. I have to be up by 3:30 to start watching hockey. It'll be on until I have to leave for work. I love two-game hockey nights.

No comments: