Monday, April 6, 2009

How long was I out?

Hey everybody! I'm back after another long break to do an update of sorts. I've been super-busy with school lately, and I just have not made time for the ol' blog. I'm currently trying not to let math kick my ass this quarter; I'm only in precalculus and I'm already feeling slightly overwhelmed. I think it's mainly because my teacher talks and writes really fast and assumes that it's just as easy for everyone in the class as it is for him. I end up learning the lessons on my own at home. It sucks, but I'm just glad I can actually understand it. I'm also taking the second class of a two-part Astronomy sequence: Stars and Galaxies. I love it. Hell, I should: I'm majoring in astronomy. It's technically a basic course, but it's giving me a basic idea of what I'm in for over the course of the next 2-3 years. Right now we're learning about the properties of light and General Relativity. Being the nerd that I am, I'm on the edge of my seat over this stuff, even though I've got a LONG way to go before I'll actually understand it. Even then, it's a strange concept. In the fall, after I've gotten my calculus to the required level, I'm going to load up on the physics classes. Let the fun begin!

So, I'm really excited about my school situation right now. The only thing that's kind of worrying me is the fact that all of the scientific thinking I've been doing is slowly eroding away my creativity. Not TOO much, mind you, but I'm having to concentrate so much on the scientific method that I'm not left with much time or space* to write songs or think up cool movie ideas. I've never made any of those ideas realities, but they were still fun to think of. I'm mostly optimistic that the reason for this current lapse is that I'm trying to learn a lot of stuff at once, but it tugs at me a little that I haven't picked up my guitar for a few weeks or thought of a cool way for a guy to kill a zombie with a spatula. Writing this helps a little.

Well, other than school, not much has changed. I still have the same crappy job, and I still strike out with the ladies, actually even more so now. I interact with more girls now that I'm down on campus a lot more, so the rejections and awkward blow-offs are now more frequent. I figure if I keep trying, something good will happen. That or I'll continue to only draw attention from middle-aged women and guys.

Actually, quite a few guys have hit on me the past two quarters. I guess if I was gay I wouldn't have to worry about finding a date.

Another thing that's hunky dory here in Columbus is the story of my beloved Blue Jackets. Right now they are on the brink of making the playoffs for the first time in team history. What's more is that I have guaranteed seats for those postseason games, which is AWESOME. They played the other night against Chicago, and it felt just like a playoff game. It was amazing. I mean, they lost in overtime, but it was one of the best sontests I've ever seen. Imagining that type of game in the actual postseason is quite exciting, to say the least. As for other teams in the race, I like Philadelphia in the East, and I'm really impressed with San Jose this season. I like Chicago too, but don't tell anyone around here.

Okay, well, I have to wake up for work in three hours, so that's it for tonight.

'Til next time...

No comments: