Sunday, April 12, 2009

Title That Sums Up Blog Entry

Well, here it is Sunday night again, and I'm trying to scramble to finish my homework. Ha, that's why I'm on here, I guess.

I saw this guy at work today that I went to high school with. I'll call him Frank. Actually, he was a grade ahead of me, but I had a few classes with him. It's funny; as soon as I saw him, it reminded me of the prom that took place my junior year. My friends and I did not go. Being the anti-social punks we were, we felt it would not be cool or fun to get dressed up and go dance to lame, mushy songs about loving love. So instead, four of us got together and went for a ride. We drove all over town, and our trip eventually took us past the high school. One of us, in passing, commented that it would be funny to park and stand outside the school so we could make fun of people and just be generally obnoxious. We all agreed, and my friend parked his car in the main lot. We ventured toward the front doors where well-dressed teens were arriving in small groups. We walked into the entryway, but were promptly shown the door by a teacher. Apparently ripped jeans and leather jackets are not traditional prom wear. Plus, we found out that tickets were required to gain access to the gym. That's where all the action was, apparently. Upon finding this out, we walked out and stood in front of the main entrance, and proceeded to act as ticket-takers. It was pretty fun. A senior would walk up with his date, and I'd say, "Tickets please." The best part was that no one even questioned it. They consistently handed them over, never thinking, "Hey, why are the weird loser kids working at the prom? I thought they hated this stuff." Anyway, they'd hand over their tickets, one of us would tear them in half and hand them back. Then, for good measure, we'd throw in a 'have a nice time', or 'okay, you can go in now.'

We did that to a good fifteen couples before someone came out and busted us. We were asked to leave. We retaliated by tearing down the neatly printed signs that were hanging on the doors after the offending party went back inside, most likely to make sure there was no groping going on on the dancefloor. As we were walking away, a large, rented vehicle pulled up in front of us. Frank got out--stumbled out, is more like it. He had a girl with him, who had more than likely been taken advantage of in a drunken backseat brawl. Surprisingly, he approached me.

"Hey man," he slurred. "When's the latest we can get in here?"

Now--the signs had all the info, like how you would not be admitted any later than 12:00 midnight, clearly printed on them; in a lovely font to boot. However, those signs were in the trash, courtesy of yours truly. So...

"You'll be good 'til three."

"Great! We'll be back a little before then."

"Alrighty, just make sure you have your tickets. Wouldn't wanna get stuck outside!"

And with that, they left. Then, my friends and I did the same. I always kinda wondered what ended up happening, but I hadn't thought about it in years. It was the first thing that popped into my head, though, when I saw him today. I chuckled to myself, remembering that time, and other similar times. I hated high school, but times like that bring back fond memories. A lot of them make for pretty good stories. Several more come to mind, but maybe for another time. I have trigonometry homework to do.

'Til next time...

No comments: